Three terms: Fall (August-December), Spring (January-May) and Summer (May-August)
Deadlines for Admission: Fall (recommended December 15th, required by February 15th), Spring (recommended August 15th), Summer (recommended November 15th)
Jump to section
What You Should Know
- Applications are hosted through the Office of Graduate Studies. Click the “APPLY NOW” button above and select “Complex Biosystems” as your program.
- Create a CollegeNET ApplyWeb account. You do not have to complete the form in one sitting or from the same computer. The application system lets you save your data. You may find the list of Frequently Asked Questions helpful.
- Your applications needs to highlight your interests and identify faculty you might like to work with! Your interests can be broad or narrow, and you can specify as many faculty as you wish. Our goal is to introduce you to the most appropriate faculty mentors. You can also select a specialization when you apply, but you do not have to commit to one until after your first year is complete.
- There is a $50 (non-refundable) application fee, payable online by credit card or electronic check. There is no charge for starting and completing the application. You will be asked for payment after pressing “Submit.”
- To determine if you are eligible for an application fee waiver, please refer to the Office of Graduate Studies guidelines.
- To apply for a fee waiver, please use Big Ten Academic Alliance FreeApp program application.
What You Need
- Unofficial transcripts from each college or University you attended. If international, include a Certified English translation. You will need to arrange official transcripts only on enrollment.
- Graduate Record Exam Scores (Optional) For submitting these, UNL’s institution code is: 6877.
Learn about GRE Fee Reduction Program.
- A curriculum vitae or resume. Include details about your employment history and relevant research experiences as well as lists of publications and awards.
- Personal statement. We want to hear why you want to be in graduate school.
- Names, institution and email addresses for three (3) references. The system will request recommendation letters from your references directly.
- Research interests/CBIO specializations you are considering.
- Names of faculty you would enjoy working with.
- $50 application fee. Learn about fee waivers.
We welcome international students, who are equals at UNL. There are a few extra requirements when applying to make sure you can be successful:
- Visit the Office of Graduate Studies page specifically for international applicants.
- If your transcripts are not in English, you will need certified English translations.
- For students who attended colleges or Universities outside the US, please review the Office of Graduate Studies page about degree equivalency.
- UNL requires a TOEFL score of 550 on the paper exam or 79 on the online exam and an IELTS score of 6.5. For submitting these, UNL’s institution code is: 6877.